September 03, 2003

SOBRE A NATUREZA DA MULHER
At a dinner-party in Italy, from which country I have now returned, a question came up. This was, are women really bitchier than men, and, if so, why, when their behaviour can be so much more exemplary? For some reason this question was addressed to me. I hadn’t recalled, alas, saying a bad word about anyone that evening, but perhaps as the only female journalist present I was rashly considered by the others as some sort of oracle with regard to members of my sex.
. Esta delícia foi escrita por Petronella Wyatt e vem publicada no Spectator. Mais um excerto para abrir o apetite:For centuries women have been in the same position. Bitchy, racy or witty conversation rather than oratorical lectures remains a strong biological urge. At dinner-parties I have noticed that women shine more when there are fewer people. Their real art is that of repartee on any subject. Of course, at tables of 30 or more I have heard all those present grow silent as a woman dominates with her views on politics or literature, but usually her domination is all too brief as a man takes over and spouts on for anything up to half an hour.